Mission Impossible III

The three scenes from the movie Mission Impossible III I will be discussing today are 1.) the scene of agent Ethan Hunt swinging from one building to another in Shanghai, 2.) the helicopter chase sequence, and 3.) agent Hunt’s base jump from the building in Shanghai.

1.) a. what was his final velocity when he unlatched himself from the cable?
     b. the relevant quantities I will need to find are initial velocity, acceleration, and the time it took.
     c. the initial velocity I'm estimating is 0 m/s, for acceleration I'm estimating 9.8 m/s, and for time 12 sec. I got these estimates directly from the movie, for time I just used how long the scene took, for acceleration I used gravity, and for the initial velocity I am assuming 0 because he was momentarily still at the end of the cable where he hung.

2.) a. what was the total displacement of the car that had a bomb go off under it and flipped over?
     b. the relevant quantities I will need to find are initial velocity, final velocity, and time.
     c. the initial velocity I'm estimating is 31.3 m/s, the final velocity I'm estimating is 36.3 m/s, and for time I'm estimating 5 sec, time again I used the time it took to happen in the movie, initial velocity I'm estimating that they were going 70 mph because that is the typical speed on highways, and for final velocity I estimated the acceleration and did the calculations.

3.) a. what was his final velocity when he reached the end of the cable?
     b. the relevant quantities I will need to find are initial velocity, acceleration, and the time it took.
     c. the initial velocity I'm estimating is 0 m/s, for acceleration I'm estimating 9.8 m/s, and for time 16 sec. I got these estimates directly from the movie once again, for time I used how long the scene took which was 16 sec, for acceleration I used gravity, and for the initial velocity I am assuming 0 because he was standing still on top of the building.

Comments

  1. It doesn’t appear you actually analyzed the scenes you said you were going to, at least not all of them. Anyway, you need to be careful about taking the time from movie scenes that involve slow motion, as many of the scenes you analyzed did. One can try to correct for this, but as you’ve been learning in class, there are ways to get around not knowing the time.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts