Iron Man 3 and could Tony Stark survive the falls he takes





In this post today we will be discussing Tony Stark and the many falls he experiences focusing on one specific fall in Iron Man 3. This specific scene takes place after Tony Stark's house has gotten attacked and destroyed by the human bomb in a helicopter. After taking a dip into the ocean, getting stuck under some rubble from his home, and almost drowning, he takes off in the Iron Man suit and promptly passes out. When he comes too is where the clip starts we see him waking up in the Iron Man suit which is still in flight at this point. Shortly after waking though the suit takes a nose dive into a road and skids along hitting a bunch of trees untill coming to a stop in a clearing. At this point we see that Tony is okay, but should he have really been okay after taking a fall like that? Well that's what we are here to learn about today folks.The way we will do this problem is in two parts: a free fall problem and an impulse problem.

We will need to start off with the free fall problem, by free fall I basically mean a kinematic problem with gravity sub for the acceleration. With this I need to solve for initial velocity so I will use the equation for velocity final.

v(f)=v(i)+at

I will switch vi and vf and make it look like this:

v(i)=at-v(f)

Now I'm solving for the initial velocity

v(i)= (-9.8m/s)(20s)-0

vi=-196m/s2

Now that I have the initial velocity I need to do the impulse problem.

I=p(f)-p(i)

Another way of saying momentum is mass times velocity therefore:

I=Mv(f)-Mv(i)

I=200kg(0m/s2)- 200kg(-196m/s2)

I took an educated guess at what the Iron man armor plus Tony Stark weight which is how I got 200

I=39200n

with this now we can figure out how much force Tony hit the ground with

F=I/Δt

F=39200n/20s

F=1960n

or

F=440lb
So Tony hit the ground with 440lb of force, it only takes 25lb to break some of the smaller bones, but it takes 520lb to crush a skull so while his head my not be crushed many of his other bones would be broken and his skull would be cracked. Therefore I do not believe that he should have survived.

Comments

  1. The Delta t in the impulse problem was supposed to be how long the collision took, not how long Tony fell from the sky. So, it should have been much smaller than 20 sec, and hence, the force should have been much higher. Otherwise, pretty good post.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts